Metal Braces vs. Invisalign for Children
Metal braces have been around since Egyptian times, as individuals with misaligned teeth have always sought ways to create a more aesthetically pleasing smile. Although metal braces are still the devices of choice for some dental problems, Invisalign offers several advantages for those patients whose dental misalignment can be corrected by that method.
The Advantages of Invisalign
- Aligners are removable, making it easy to brush and floss compared with metal braces
- Unlike metal braces, Invisalign aligners are nearly invisible
- There are no food restrictions with Invisalign
- Invisalign is safer—there are no metal pieces to puncture or scratch the inside of the mouth, tongue or gums.
- Computerized treatment plans make clear the duration of Invisalign treatment. This technology is not possible with metal braces.
- Invisalign Teen’s indicator dots help parents know their children are wearing the device as prescribed by their orthodontist.
The Advantages of Metal Braces
- Generally less expensive than other options
- Treatment time is usually the shortest among all options
- They are strong, so they rarely break
- Choice of colorful ligatures (rubber bands) for fun, custom looks
- Can resolve very complex alignment problems, such as severe overbite, teeth with large gaps between them, and rotated teeth.
- Unlike Invisalign, metal braces cannot be removed by the wearer. Therefore, the speed and efficiency of treatment are in the hands of the orthodontist rather than the wearer.
If you have questions or concerns about your child’s dental alignment, speak to me at your next appointment. I can connect you with our orthodontist here at our NYC pediatric dental practice. Whether Invisalign or metal braces are the best choice can be determined by an exam