Optimizing Dental Health for Children with Orthodontic Braces
Whether your child already has braces or it’s happening soon, you might find it helpful to understand the best way to care for teeth that are going through orthodontic treatment. With the goal to give your child a lifetime of straight, attractive teeth, making sure those teeth are getting the care they need to keep gums and teeth healthy is as important as being sure to make—and keep—your child’s orthodontic appointments.
Plaque Is Increased in Children with Braces
We all know that kids are pretty famous for rushing through tasks that they don’t enjoy. And face it, kids don’t “enjoy” brushing and flossing their teeth. Knowing that as a baseline, the challenge is doubled with kids in braces. Particles of food have extra places to hide in teeth wrapped with orthodontic appliances. Wherever these particles hide, decay begins.
10 Point Brush & Floss Routine for Kids with Dental Braces
- Remove elastic bands or other removeable parts before brushing
- Gently brush around and on the pins and wires
- Set a timer for 2 minutes and brush the entire 2 minutes, twice a day
- Use a fluoride toothpaste
- Floss at least once a day
- Use waxed floss, as it tends to slide more easily between teeth and the appliance
- A floss threader is an effective tool to get the floss under the wires.
- Be sure not to miss any areas
- Rinse thoroughly
- Check teeth and braces in a mirror to find any remaining food particles
The Importance of Regular Dental Visits for Kids with Orthodontic Braces
Children with orthodontics visit their dental specialist quite often and their general pediatric dentist here in Lower Manhattan only twice a year. Because frequent orthodontic appointments are so time consuming, it’s easy to put off those twice-yearly dental check-ups. Checking for cavities and/or plaque build-up on kids with dental braces is imperative to guarantee that your child’s teeth will not just be straight when orthodontics is completed but are healthy as well!
When Did We Last See Your Child?
If we haven’t seen your child(ren) within the past six months, call us today at 212-267-0029 to schedule an appointment! Regular dental checkups are the very best way to assure your child of a lifetime of beautiful, healthy smiles!